Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Sailor Saves 3-Year-Old Boy

A three-year-old boy is recovering after an unknown hero pulled him from under a capsized boat off British Columbia's Gabriola Island. Jerry Lushman says a man on board another boat, the 12-metre sailboat Outrageous, came to the rescue when a five-metre craft holding Lushman, his son Zachary and another man overturned on Saturday. The man, whom Lushman knows only as Clayton, jumped into the water and saved Zachary, who was trapped under the smaller boat. "He threw me a life-jacket, and then he dived into the water and he went up under the boat," Lushman told CBC Radio. "And he told me to get off the boat, because he might have to slip it. "So I started swimming towards the sailboat and he went up under and pulled my son out. "He said he was right there. As soon as he put his hand up under the boat, my son was right there. And he pulled him out. "As I was swimming back, I heard him say, 'The kid is all right.' And I was so relieved." Darren Morely of the Victoria Rescue Co-ordination Centre said members of the Outrageous crew are crediting Zachary's life-jacket with saving his life. But Morely believes the rescuer's efforts were what really saved the boy. "It's a very brave thing to do. I mean, the water temperature is between 10 and 15 degrees Celsius," he said. "And, you know, you're safely aboard your own boat and you leave it in order to effect the rescue of others. It's a dangerous manoeuvre, but it certainly worked." After being taken to Nanaimo General Hospital, the boy was reported to be doing fine Monday. Gabriola Island is located 90 kilometres north of Victoria.

blog counter